On the Trail: Cairnbaan Hotel
June 07, 2016 at 11:44 AM
Seafood Trail member, Cairnbaan Hotel is in the most wonderful location for boating enthusiasts - right on the Crinan Canal in Argyll. The hotel was built in the latter part of the 18th century as a coaching inn to serve fishermen and puffers trading on the Crinan Canal.
Here's a quick guide to 6 things to do while staying at Cairnbaan Hotel:
- Lock 5, Crinan Canal - take a walk along the towpaths or sit on the benches beside the lock in front of the hotel and watch the boating world go by as yachts and motorboats navigate through the series of locks which provide a sea short cut between the Clyde Estuary and the West Coast and Hebrides.
- Crinan canal basin - walk around the locks and towpaths and along the Crinan shoreline. Look out for the old restored puffer Vic 32 in the basin along with visiting yachts and boats.
- Knapdale Forests - extensive network of tracks for walking and cycling and exploring the Beaver Trail.
- Tayvallich and Carsaig - scenic natural sheltered harbour village of Tayvallich and Carsaig with its sandy beach looking out across to Jura and the west.
- Kilmartin Glen - standing stones, Neolithic and Bronze Age burial cairns and Dunadd Hill Fort, home to the earliest Kings of Scotland. Kilmartin Museum is fascinating.
- Inveraray - make a day of it by visiting the Duke of Argyll's Inverarary Castle, Inveraray Jail and Crarae Gardens on the shores of Loch Fyne.